Monday, July 9, 2007

Weekend Update: My boy is FAST!

Well it was another great weekend of training and racing. After a bit of a recovery week, I was actually feeling somewhat sluggish, so it was great to get out on the bikes on Saturday. We were up early and met Frank and Keri at Bragg to start our ride at 9. The weather had changed dramatically from the heat of the week, and we were greeted with cloudy skies and a cool wind. None of us really cared about the weather though, it was not raining and we were were wearing enough to be warm. We decided to ride the MIllarville loop which is a beautiful ride. Darin and Frank rode together and I rode most of the way with Keri. I was keeping my legs spinning high and light and my HR in zone 1-2. It was a great day and we really enjoyed the ride. Once back I went straight into a 20min T run and despite being hungry, I felt really good running off the bike.
We were back to town early enough to have most of the day to relax, clean up and get ready for the 1/2 marathon. I decided early in the week that I was treating the run as a training run and would not be racing, mentally and physically I was just not feeling race ready. It was nice to feel no stress, pressure or anxiety the night before a race! I should try this approach more often..
It turned out to be a perfect running day- overcast and cool. Darin took advantage of that fact and ran a blistering 1hr20mins, finishing 18th overall and 2nd in his AG. He even got the rush of passing superstar runner Lisa Harvey ;-) It was a PR for him and he was extremely happy, of course.
I had a decent run, finishing just seconds slower than my own PR in May, with an ave HR that was 10beats lower than it was back then- that alone is a great sign.
We spent the rest of the day running errands and relaxing. We went for a long walk to flush out the legs, but unfortunately it was not enough for me. Strangely enough my legs feel as trashed as they have all season! I am not sure why or what the difference was, but the only thing I can come up with was that I did not warm up at all and it was a cool morning.
So this week is about healing up, taking it pretty easy on the bike and getting all ready and packed up for our big trip. I am soooooo excited and can hardly wait to get out of town and have the entire week to be outside riding our bikes all day long!

Weekend Training: Saturday- Bike 3hrs Run 20mins
Sunday-Stampede Half Marathon- 1hr43

No comments: