Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Me:1 Wind:0

Damn. The wind was out full force today, last I checked it was 50km/hr with gusts to 70km/hr. I almost convinced myself to ride inside, but I know that this is life here and I have to get used to it. I am determined to use the wind to make me a stronger rider and I know that my weakness in the wind has limited me in the past. No more! I will get lots of practice as I have heard that the wind is like this ALL the time.
I was mentally ready for today's ride. The way out was with the wind, I was holding 34-38km/hr without working very hard. I was tempted to keep going when I reached the 20km mark in 33mins, but I knew it was going to be a different story on the way back so I turned around and faced the music.
It was as tough and as slow as I expected, but I didn't care. I put my head down and pedaled with all I had. I was trying to keep my upper body relaxed, but I was getting blown around so much it was tough. The sun was shining and I had Doughtry blasting in my ears. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to get home averaging under 20km/hr... but I actually enjoyed every moment.
Once home I had a long transition getting dressed and stopping to fix my mtn bike seat, then headed back into the wind for a run. It was like being on a treadmill at times, legs moving but going nowhere, but I managed to do my 5km loop in 26mins.

Tonight in bootcamp we got blown around and rained on, but my campers are true Women of Strength and they powered up and down the stairs and the hill like troopers. Good work ladies!

TFTD: Bike: 1hr40mins
Run: 26mins

No comments: