Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Inspired

Tonight I attended an amazing event that we (Personal Best) co-sponsored. I was honored to bear witness to two truly phenomenal women taking the stage to share their respective passions.

Immaculee Ilibageiza is a survivor of the Rwanda holocaust. She spent 91 days in a 2'x3' bathroom with 7 other women. Amidst the killing of her entire family, village and frequent raids on the house where she was hiding, she not only survived but through it all achieved a level of consciousness where she was able to not only make peace with what was happening, but eventually forgive and bless the people who were responsible. She emerged after 3 months weighing 65lbs. She is 5'9". She had nothing. Her entire family was dead, her village, her friends, all were gone. Rather than curl up and die, or spend her life seeking revenge, she chose a different path and has become a walking manifestation of the power of love. She lets us all remember what is truly important and what it means to forgive.
Her perspective on life and willingness to rise above and choose love in the face of circumstances I can't even get my mind to imagine, is remarkable to me and was a great reality check. The things I let get to me are so insignificant...
Her book is a must read http://www.lefttotell.com/

Marianne Williamson is an author and gifted leader and speaker. I first read her "Return to Love" about 4 years ago. She is a teacher in a Course in Miracles, and the author of Nelson Mandela's famous inaugural speech that begins ""Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
She spoke passionately of the need for a revolution of people who have a different vision for the way the world is headed. The needless suffering of people all over the planet who are victimized by a world obsessed with wealth above all else and at the cost of all else. This revolution is less about marching in the streets (unless of course that is what floats your boat) and more about living our own personal passion, embodying the light of love and peace, bringing the best of ourselves to everything we do and staying true to what we value and what is important to us.
She also spoke of the need for women to take a leadership role in the shift that needs to occur on the planet. Women supporting women to be leaders in change. To turn the boat around as she said. This spoke loudly to me as I have been spending a lot of time thinking of my next steps and creating my business plan for the training studio I plan to create in G.P.
I strongly believe in the power of physical activity as it relates to self care, empowerment and self acceptance. My plan is to focus on women and support women in re-connecting with who they are, realizing their own passion and purpose and living that. It is a ripple effect that changes individuals, families and communities.
I left feeling even more confidence in my vision and my dedication to create is has been reinforced. The Women of Strength Training Studio will be. This is the next step for me, and I am so ready and excited!

No comments: