Thursday, December 6, 2007

More power intervals...!?

Well after two nights of intervals (bike, run) we were treated to yet another go at them. This time TCR style...
After an all to brief warm up it was on to 10x60secs at 110% threshold. That is 200-210 for me. Ouch. They seemed to get exponentially more difficult and by the last 2 the minute break between wasn't enough to get my HR under 170...eeeps. But that wasn't it, next it was on to a 4.5km TT at threshold. By this point my legs were pretty trashed but I pushed with all I had and came in under 6:30. My HR peaked at 183 which is higher than I have ever seen on the bike.
This might seem like odd IM training, but as Cory explains, building power through the winter sets you up well so that come spring/ summer you just have to focus on endurance. It is backwards from what I have done in the past, but this is what D did last year and he had his best year yet. As for me, I am definitely getting stronger and faster, and while 170+ is a high HR even for me, I am really quite comfortable in the 165-170 zone. Most people top out there, but not me...
My resting HR has come down to 48-52 which is very low for me. I have always been 65-70 and just attributed it to my "smaller heart". It means that my heart is becoming stronger and more efficient. It also means that there is more time between beats and every time I stand up I nearly lost consciousness because the blood getting to my brain is slower than gravity. D tells me to enjoy the rush...ha.

I am looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. My legs are completely done.

Training for the day: Bike 75mins

No comments: