Sunday, April 6, 2008

Weekend Update

Wow, what a weekend. Between working and training we have been busy kids.

Friday was an awesome boost for the motivation tanks. We finally were able to surface from the basement and ride outside. We bundled up and headed out when D got home from work. We are really lucky to live where we do- it is less than 2 blocks to get to an amazing secondary highway- low traffic, smooth pavement and a decent shoulder. It felt so good to MOVE! I have had the resistance cranked on my trainer and have barely used my big chain ring, and almost never see speeds higher than 25. It was gratifying to be able to push the gears and see my speed in the mid 30's without a real effort. I was really surprised at how fast I was riding, and kept thinking I was going to pay for what must be a tailwind and down hill out section. I hit 20km and turned around, at the 38min mark. Instead of a wicked headwind and uphill grind, it was about the same on the way back. My speed averaged 32.5 for the 40km and I finished in 1hr13. The best part is that with the exception of the last 5km I did not exert any real effort. It felt easy and comfortable. The last 5km I decided to push it and was able to hold 35-37kph on the flat and 32-33 on the slight uphill. All this was with the wind resistance that was most definitely caused by the huge grin that never left my face. It was soooo fun. Just what I needed to get me through the last few indoor rides.

Friday night the temp dropped and there was a bit of snow on the ground when we woke up Saturday. It was not a surprise so we weren't too forlorn about our short lived freedom in the outdoors.
We were back underground for our Saturday spin and did a solid 2hrs that was tough with legs that were feeling it from the efforts Friday night. We both really wanted to quit at 90mins, but convinced each other to keep going and finish what we set out to do.

Saturday afternoon was FUN for me. I was finally able to set up my indoor training space that I will use for PT clients as well as for D and I to do our strength work. I have tons of "toys" that I love using for building functional strength. I am not a gym- machine girl and far prefer to play with wobble boards, stability balls and the like. It looks great down there, just in time for my first client Monday morning.

Sunday morning I woke up tired. The day was cool and cloudy and I felt like laying around. D managed to kick my butt into gear and get going for our long run about 10am. I was expecting a real hurtfest with the way I was feeling, but once again my body surprised me and I felt pretty good right from go. I ran an easy pace for the first 10km and hit the 15km turnaround at 1hr17. At about 18km my legs started to protest and I was really feeling the efforts of the week leading up. I managed to push through the fatigue and actually increase my pace. With 2km to go I decided to find a new level and was able to hold 13km/hr for the final 2k. I was spent, but pleased with the 30km run in 2hrs49. That means a negative split by 5 minutes!
I definitely feel good about going to Boston in 2 weeks. I am in my best running shape ever and I can hardly wait to do a run on fresh rested legs!! And hopefully without 5lbs of clothing and ice rinks under my feet LOL.

Things have really taken off with my business. I am super excited at the response I have received after one week of advertising. Most of my trial classes are full and I am adding registered sessions to keep up with the requests for alternate times. I am going to be a really busy girl. I couldn't be happier.

Tomorrow will be the first total rest day in 3 weeks. Looking forward to that.

Friday: Bike 1hr20mins
Saturday: Bike 2hrs
Sunday: Run 2hrs 39

No comments: