Friday, April 25, 2008

New trick for an old dog...er fish

Today I went for a swim. I was just swimming along, feeling great and I had a thought..."I want to do flip turns." It has never really been a big deal for me, that I turn around at the wall. But today for some reason it just occurred to me that if I started learning now, I would soon enough be doing it without even thinking about it. So I got to the end of my lap and did it. It wasn't pretty, but I didn't get a brain full of water like I remembered the last time I tried it. My balance and body awareness had obviously improved in the water! So the next time I tried again and continued for the next 2000m. The first few were clumsy- too close, too far, one leg push off, pushing off into the ropes... but then it happened- the perfect flip turn. And after that I started to make one every 3, then every 2, and then I was only missing the odd one. It felt awesome...it was as if I had "arrived" as a swimmer! lol.
Small things can mean so much! Anyway, now I have a new fun thing to practice in the pool. I am going to do my best to practice all week so that I can do them in the race next weekend. My speed definitely improved doing them- even though I missed every now and then.
Had a great visit with Alan tonight, chatted about training and upcoming races. I am hoping we get a chance to do some training together over the summer in Jasper and Grande Cache. It takes a true friend to travel this far North for a visit LOL.

TFTD: Swim 2500m 50mins

No comments: