Thursday, April 10, 2008

Two Swims, Two Runs and a Hump in between

Hehe, I make myself laugh.

So Monday was a rest day, Tuesday I did 2500m swim, pulled out some 18min 1000m's, felt great. Then I did a short run that I couldn't seem to get any speed for. Tuesday night was the first bootcamp, I squatted, lunged and pushed up along with the crew and was exhausted by the end of the day.

Wednesday was hump day and I felt exhausted from the time I woke up. As I was getting myself mentally prepared to get on the bike I realized that Boston marathon is 2 weeks away. As much as I am used to training while fatigued, I can't actually remember the last time I didn't feel at least somewhat tired. I decided that training through the fatigue was not the answer today, and if I am going to feel fresh on race day I need to catch up on some rest. So I took another rest day. I need to give my body time to heal, replenish and rest up so that I am in the best shape possible. I did bootcamp with the crew again, but I had them doing circuits today and didn't have to work as hard ;-)

Today I slept in and felt rested when I woke up. I hit the pool for an outstanding swim. I felt so smooth and strong. I did 500m w/u, and then 500m with fins doing 50m side kicks 50m swim breathing 3, 5, 7 strokes.

After the injection of speed, I took the fins off and did 5X200m swimming hard and breathing every 3,5 and 7 strokes. I was happy to see 2min30 2min 29, 2min29, 2min28 and 2min 29.
Then I put on the paddles and pull bouy and did 1700m focusing on strong pull through and low stroke count.
Then 300m easy to cool down. A solid 3k in 60mins with breaks.

Another bootcamp tonight. I have a great crew that is starting to form. Most of the same people continue to come back, and are signed up for the registered session starting at the end of the month. I have one more week of trial classes and then we are off to Boston. Tonight 3 girls showed up and were obviously there to cause problems. There are some people at the college here who run fitness classes and I think are threatened by competition. They were obviously there to test me, and I knew it from the moment they walked up. They ended up just making asses of themselves, and after class my group all commented about it.

It is one of the most disappointing things for me to see. The win/lose mentality some people see in competition. It is especially disappointing that women who are supposed to be leaders in fitness and wellness, would try to take away from a business that is dedicated to supporting women in health and fitness... makes no sense to me. We should be working together to do more for the community we are serving, not wasting energy trying to bring others down.
Anyway, it takes a lot more than 3 immature girls to get to me, I used to teach classes of 20 teenage girls! Not much different.

I am stoked for the weekend, the forecast is for 19 and sunny on Saturday!!!! Finally a long ride outside!

Tuesday Training: Swim 2500m 45mins
Run: 45mins
Strength: 60mins

Thursday Training: Swim 3000m 60mins
Run 40mins

2 comments:

Nadeen Halls said...

Hey Amber - Stay positive. My experience being a high school teacher and coach is that it's A LOT harder to cause trouble and be a jackass if you're working so hard you can't talk :) Besides - we all know "What it Takes" to be successful in life. And it's not undermining other people's goals and dreams. Besides - who has time for that? Grow up and go workout girls ... because they're gonna have to to keep up with you baby!

Amber Dawn said...

Well said, thanks Hallsy :-)