Monday, June 23, 2008

A new week, a fresh start

Well after a really rough week last week dealing with a horrible virus, I am happy to have a new week in front of me. I was flat out sick for 2 days straight and took an entire 7 days off to make sure I recovered. I knew I was digging myself into a hole and in hindsight a rest day last Sunday may have been all it took to avoid getting so sick. It was a good lesson though, and the week off did me tons of good. I slept and slept and then slept some more. I have been going full tilt for a while and I didn't realize just how run down I really was until my body shut down completely.
So no race on the weekend, which we are both grateful for after seeing that it was a rainy, miserable day. We were planning on tenting and I can't imagine it would have been a pleasant experience.
Today was my first day back in the saddle and it felt sooo good to get out. Even though the wind was howling at 50km/hr, I could care less and was just plain happy and grateful to be outside, on my bike, in the sun.
I did an easy 50km and felt fantastic.
I will keep the training light this week, but I am looking forward to building back up the volume. 2 weeks till GWN is plenty of time to get back into my groove. I feel more motivated, excited and inspired to train than I have in a long while.
Sometimes a break is what is necessary to come back fresh and recharged. I am both.
Thanks to my body for the message, I am sorry it had to be so loud...and painful!

TFTD: Bike 50km 2 hrs

1 comment:

Naomi Rae Nicholson said...

Hi Amber!

You are absolutely correct: the body has ways of stopping us. I'm very happy to hear you are on the mend, and look forward to seeing you rip up the GWN course!

Enjoy being back at it.

:)