Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 things...from FB



1) I have a strong need to do things right. So I had to look up the definition of random. The definition annoyed me so I am winging it.
2) As much as I need to do things right, one of my gifts is my ability to wing it. and I generally get it right. :-)
3) My husband is the best man I have ever met. He is unbelievably smart, kind hearted, driven and gorgeous. He treats me like gold, we have awesome conversation, share passions and values and always have fun no matter what we are doing.
4) I feel infinitely lucky to have met Darin, and even luckier that he chose to love me and spend his life with me. Sometimes I fear that it is too good to be true and one day I'll wake up and god will say 'psyche!' and it will all disappear.
5) That is the first time I have ever admitted #4 and am now feeling a strong need to delete it.
6) I consider myself a strong and wise woman. I don't like appearing weak or vulnerable, even though I am at times both. I usually hide when I feel that way.
7) I love what I do, I am living my dream running a business that is an extension of my passion in life. My other dream job would be writing ads for Nike.
8) When I was really young I had bad allergies, asthma and then developed double pneumonia. I was in the hospital a lot and the pneumonia issue landed me in an oxygen tent. My mom never left my side. She held my hand until I fell asleep every night and promised she would be there when I woke up. She always was. I remember being released on my 4th birthday after getting a needle in the butt. I was crying in the truck on the way home and my brother was trying to cheer me up by laughing at the cartoon food in the toy fridge that was my birthday gift. That is a very vivid memory for me. Not sure why.
9) Being in the hospital so much is what led to me becoming a nurse. I always wanted to work in pediatrics, until I did and it broke my heart. I went into post partum instead and got to work with newborns and new moms for 6 years.
10) Babies (especially newborns) are my favorite kind of people. They are pure love and have no fear. I will one day write a book about the Zen of Babies.
11) When I was young I was always the caregiver to any and all babies around. People were always telling me what a great mommy and wife I would be when I grew up.
12) When I was 20 I wanted to get married and have kids. When I was 22 I was engaged but had a strong intuitive sense that I needed to experience independence (although I couldn't articulate it) and left the relationship. I was on my own with no car, hardly any furniture, very little money and only a couple of friends in Calgary. I felt more free and powerful than I ever had in my life.
13) I am 32 this year and very excited to be a wife and to become a mother. I am glad I spent the last 10 years being self indulgent- traveling, expanding my world, engaging in personal development, engaging in physical mental and spiritual challenges. The learning, growing and developing has allowed me to become a woman that I trust to be a conscious and loving partner and parent.
14) When I was in my early 20's I didn't exercise, I smoked, drank and used drugs. 10 years later I am a 4 time Ironman finisher, have completed 4 marathons (an an Ultra Marathon) including the Boston Marathon and am the healthiest I have ever been. I always wanted to be an athlete, but didn't believe I was one.
15) Sometimes I still feel like I am a couch potato in an athlete's body.
16) I had major body image issues until I became involved in sport. I never felt like I fit the mold of an ideal woman. Then I started running and doing triathlon and realized I fit right in with my flat chest and boy hips. I now completely love my body inside and out and revel in what it allows me to do.
17) I spent 6 months living in Australia and New Zealand. I spent lots of time outside :-), learned what it was like to live with almost no money (in a van that broke down daily), and overcame some serious challenges along the way. I also became even more clear what was important to me and returned home with a new perspective and gratitude for my family.
18) I did my first marathon in Belgium in 2003 and traveled around Europe mostly on my own for 10 days following. It was a TSN turning point in my life to be in a place where I had only myself and find I truly loved my company.
19) I did 6 years of University and loved most of it. I graduated with distinction and was (and am) very proud of what a nerd I became.
20) In high school I got average grades until grade 12 when I worked really hard to make the honor roll. I had a 79.4 average and missed the list. I cried at my graduation when my name wasn't announced and pretended I was just sad that I was leaving h.s. All of my grad pictures show me with a red, puffy post-cry face.
21) I would never want to go back to high school- or any time in my past for that matter- but especially junior high and high school. It was an unbelievable stressful time and I never felt safe or secure (which is probably why I was such a bitch). The invisibility I felt in University was incredibly liberating and allowed me to relax and just be me.
22) I trained and competed in Martial Arts and Kickboxing for several years. I became an instructor and still love to teach. The years kicking and punching were a great release for me. I let go of a lot of anger on those heavy bags...
23) I honestly feel that my life has gotten better every year of my life. I don't fear aging or death for myself, but I am terrified of losing the people I love. I am in denial of the aging process of my family, I want everyone I love to live forever.
24) We adopted our dog Harley in November of 2008 and I love him more than I thought possible to love a dog. He is going to live forever.
25) I have three nieces I love very much. I am constantly feeling guilty for not spending more time with them.
Since I'm winging it, here is my BONUS
26) If I could meet anyone- dead or alive- it would be my grandmother's mom. Her name was Amelia (Emma) Strong. Her husband died when my grandma was 1yr old, she never remarried and stayed on the farm doing everything herself. She later moved to town, owned businesses and real estate. She was a woman ahead of her time. All of her photos show her in pants :-)

3 comments:

Kelly B. said...

#6 - I totally get.
#8 - made me cry!!
#10 - newborns scare the crap out of me...even my own!! I was so clueless and everyday prayed some sort of instinct would kick in!
#13 - ummm...hellooooo...news you want to share with strangers...?
#22 - Cool!!!

Megan said...

uhhhh, yeah, #13... are prego??? Way to drop the bomb! Congrats if you are!!!

Amber Dawn said...

nope, not preggers yet. But we plan to start after this 'season'. :-)