Week 4 is a wrap. Yesterday I churned out the 16km run on the treadmill and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was pleasantly surprised that my legs, feet etc were almost pain free Monday morning. I credit my husbands massage skills, he worked me over and applied a thick layer of tiger balm.
Last week I officially hit 100km for the week and I am really happy with how my body has adapted. Despite some earlier foot/arch issues I seem to have everything worked out (for the time being) as I've had no pain during any of my runs the last week. I think keeping up with stretching, massage and chiro going to be key as well as trying to run on a variety of surfaces and alternating between shoes.
All of this is new, which is why I am so jacked about it. It wasn't enough to do triathlon this year, I needed something that would challenge me in every way. Something that I had to research, learn and test myself with. I have no idea how to train for a 125km run, how/ what I will fuel myself with, what happens when I try to run through the woods at night over several mountains... but I will learn :)
Learning is the fun stuff, every week I am doing something I have never done before, breaking into new zones of discomfort and learning that I can handle more that I ever thought. Julie nailed it when she said that the thresholds are changing. This year is going to turn 40km in to an ordinary run...
2 weeks till the Frozen Ass 50km, and this weekend I have Jasper to look forward too. I am excited to get on the trails and run, x-c ski, climb hills and enjoy the rocky mountain high-ness. D left this morning so it will also be our rendezvous which is also fun to look forward to.
I am not as optimistic as Jenna, that winter is 'almost' over. But at least January is almost over, so we're a month closer!
Total: 100km YAHOO!
And the happy thoughts...Keith had this post and it seemed like a good idea. 10 things that make me happy... except I chose to do 10 things that I was happy about today.
1. Having the day off running! yahoo!
2. Getting home from spin class this morning and smelling the latte D had made before leaving the house.
3. Kicking big hunks of snow/dirt from between the frame and tires of my jeep. You have to be from northern Canada to get that I think.
4. Taking an awesome nap during my regular run time :)
5. Cleaning the house..well the after effect is the happy part more than the actual cleaning.
6. Making and eating some yummy and spicy Indian food for dinner.
7. Having H-dog to keep me company and make me laugh.
8. Receiving a heartfelt thank you email from a client.
9. Crossing a schwack of crap off my to-do list today.
10. Ordering Brooks Cascadia Trail Shoes thanks to Dean at Ernies! Shhh....don't tell my husband. He already thinks I have a running shoe 'problem'.