Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's Up?

Well the end of the month is nearing, almost to the end of my 'time off' structured training. I have been doing something everyday though, just to be sure that my butt doesn't start to resemble the couch :-) Biking outside last week and Saturday was awesome, the weather was outstanding and even the wind took a break. Sunday saw a return to the indoor riding though as it rained all day. Luckily D ordered a ton of new DVDs to keep us motivated on the trainers. We rode again last night and I tried to ride with Lance in the 1999 Tour. It was his 3rd stage win, and the first one in the mountains. I rode in the big gear, grinding along matching the cadence of the climbing riders. I stood when they stood, and charged when Lance attacked. I nearly threw up twice and definitely rode outside my comfort zone. It felt good though, and watching this tour is so inspiring! To see someone come back from terminal cancer and then dominate one of the toughest sporting events on the planet is just amazing!

I am thinking more about next season and some of my goals. We have registered for 2 events so far, the GWN 1/2 and the new Calgary 70.3. We are going to incorporate the trip to Calgary into our summer holidays and extend the trip to SK to visit my folks.
Our themes this year are local and speed :-) We are only racing in places that we don't need a passport for, and we are focusing on getting faster!

We are also looking at an early season marathon and so far Vancouver or Calgary are our choices. I am not keen on the Calgary marathon, but it would be nice to have a reason to visit! Vancouver would be better in terms of altitude though! I would run with the goal of breaking 3:30- I was 3:32 in Boston and I know I can do it if I race well.

My folks are coming to town this week and D has left for the week. We are all patiently awaiting the arrival of our newest family member who's due date was yesterday! I guess no one told her :-) This weekend we are off to Jasper for some fun in the mountains! We plan to rent mtn bikes and do our best not to kill ourselves or cause any external damage that will ruin our wedding pictures :-) We are also meeting our good friend Alan who will kick our butts with a good trail run. He is coming off training for a 100mile ultra so hopefully he doesn't hurt us too bad :-)

2 weeks from today we will be in Kona!! We are excited for that, as well as the big day which is coming up fast! I have everything in place (I think) and am really looking forward to it. It will also be a last chance to enjoy summer weather. We have tons of outdoor activities planned and we are going to soak up every last drop of sunshine, knowing that the long dark northern winter is ahead!

Oh, and the pool is finally open after being closed a month! I am going to see if I still know how to swim... I need to practice my paddling for the surfing lessons we want to do!

No comments: