Monday, February 8, 2010

The Fickle B%^ch that is Running

Has anyone else had this experience of running? Some days she is your best friend, you could spend all day with running. Other days you wake up and she hates you (and you her), and with every step the hatred grows.
I had a week like this. One day I felt great, the next- like a bag of ass. Thanks to Julie for that fine descriptor! Today I finished off week 5 with a 16km movie run. Meaning I watched a movie while I ran on the treadmill. I do this every Monday and it is like a reward for getting through the week. It helps me keep the pace easy and I actually look forward to it.
I am tapering down for the Frozen Ass 50km next Monday. I am ready. I think. I actually froze my bum on yesterday's run- does that count? Honestly I don't know how it is all going to go down, but I have done all I can. I have run every km on the schedule, more kms than I have ever run in my life, and I am just hoping I get through. I want to run the whole thing, beyond that no time goals. Well that's a lie. I would like to be 5:00hrs to 5:30hrs. 10min miles have been doable up to the 40km mark, not sure what will happen beyond that.
The one concern I have is food. I have done a pretty terrible job of eating on my long runs and I have so far gotten away with it. But I know I can't get through 50km on 100 or 200 calories. The problem is I don't like sweet stuff when I run. I can force down one, maybe 2 gels but I hate them. On my 30km run this Sunday I did the first 25km outside and then finished the last 5km on the treadmill. I was starving when I got in so I ate a peice of bread with butter and it was like heaven. It totally fueled the last 5km. So I should be eating real food, but in minus WTF temperatures everything freezes and it is hard to carry/extract/eat the food I do bring. The weather is supposed to be really nice on Monday- like maybe even above zero nice!!! So I think that will help. I am going to pack some salty fatty foods that I think will be more appealing- like nuts, crackers etc. Maybe even a cheese sandwich? I dunno. I don't want too much in my stomach either. These are the things I should have been practicing on my long training runs...oops.
Ah well I will figure something out. If nothing else I'll have good conversation to keep me going in my good friend Celine who is running with me.
Today I got a big treat. My new shoes arrived! Dean from Ernie's ordered these special for me. I am so excited to get out for a run in them. (They are the Brooks Cascadia 5)
Harley saw 4 shoes and thought they were for him. He is excited to get for a run in them too!
Happy training (and happy tapering to me!!!!)

9 comments:

Keith said...

H dog is so cute in those shoes. Looks like that tail is going a mile a minute.

Yeah, I hear you on the run relationship. Sorry no suggestions about food. You will do great!

Julie said...

I am sooooo excited for your race!!!! I hear you about running and eating in the cold --- it is so hard. Mind you, I turn into the human garbage disposal when I race. I get it from my Dad -- LOL!!! I can eat anything -- somehow my body turns off the like/dislike function and I can chow down on anything.

My Dad calls me garbage guts -- I am hungry all the time. LOL!! But, I'm not as bad as him yet...he is the last chance for leftovers in the fridge before they hit the garbage. Hahaha!

You are going to FLY in those sneakers!!!!!!!!!!

Jenna said...

lol. love the runners on the dog!! Food is a challenge for sure - what if you take some gels just in case, and then a few items you know will work - you can always suck, grind, and defrost a cheese sammy one bite at a time. I am excited to learn how it all works out for you!! Go girl!!!

cinc said...

just a suggestion for fuel - spread peanut butter on a wrap and roll up - cut into bite size pieces. Not sweet and easy to take!
good luck on your race!

Amy said...

So let me get this straight, you watch a whole movie (start to finish) while running? DAMN YOU ARE BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest Fig Newmans (like fig newtons only organic) and Wheat Thins. Both are bland and easy on the stomach and can't freeze. Worked like a charm for me in the IM.

PS - the picture of Hailey is
priceless.

PSS - what treadmill do you have? I just wrote a blog asking people what ones are good.

Amy said...

PSSS: Running is a bitch. I hate her today.

Deb said...

I HATED every step of my run on sunday...there was nothing that made me happy about it till it was over! That doesn't happen to me very often but when it does, it hits hard!! You're going to rock the 50 km fo sho! I'm definitely betting you'll go under 5 hours!! :) Good luck!

Missy said...

Love the picture of your pup. That is priceless.

Food - Bumble Bar, nuts and seeds. I just made a homemade version since they're so pricey. Very tasty.

NJ said...

I know this is a bit late for the race, but maybe it'll help into the season. Try fish crackers (I prefer the cheese or pretzel ones), PBJ, bananas...to name a few.

Congrats on the race!