Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You gotta know when to hold em...

You are all tapping your toes to Kenny Rogers now aren't you?? :)

This was the theme of my day. Last week was a bit of a test to see how I would handle the mileage. The marathon followed by a half marathon left me feeling a bit depleted, but not too bad. Monday was a rest day, and I felt great- I wanted to run. Tuesday I felt like a bag of ass. I begrudginly went out for my 20km run and slogged through but I knew I was digging myself into a hole. Today I was scheduled for another 20km but I had to take Kenny's advice and fold em. I am not sick, just run down. I think if I had run today I would be sick. And I am traveling to Calgary on Friday for a course I am super excited for and I really want to be functioning at 100% for that.

Anyway, here's to hoping tomorrow brings renewed energy. Enjoy...

4 comments:

Missy said...

Just catching up - yay for your 50K run, looks brutal and cold and brutal...did I mention cold!?! An 80K...oh, you ultrarunners, what ever will we do with you:)?

Julie said...

You made such a good decision -- the thing about all this running is you are so self-aware -- I mean you were self-aware before too, but this running has taken the mind-body connection for you to a different level I think. Awesome!

Love Kenny -- LMAO!! When me and my sister were kids, I had a poster of Jon Bon Jovi in my room, and she had a poster of Kenny Rogers!! LMAO!!!! She HATES to be reminded of that. LOL!!!

KK said...

LOL "bag of ass."

you made a good decision-I can't imagine how tired you must be. I admire your mental and physical fortitude (as in: wish I had an ounce of it).

cherelli said...

Hey Amber,
Good D on the rest day - I'm sure it re-stocked your energy bank! Thanks for stopping by my blog; I saw a comment on Gordos website (article on Monicas pregnancy) by you mid last year and suspected your period of "taking life easier" may have had something to do with it but didn't want to ask :) We have both agreed to let nature take its course - but I'm still curious to fid out why things aren't happening, hence the HSG and maybe a blood test. What we do with that information? Probably not much unless I believe a lifestyle or nutrition change could make a difference - enter KR song - "know when to walk away" and still be able to enjoy my life. There's something to be said for mental happiness though - so glad you're on a new quest of ultra-running; most of your training runs of late on their own are an awesome achievement in my books! Have a great year :)