Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Break, Old Friends and New Friends

Well, it looks nothing like spring, but despite old man winter's blatant refusal to curl up and die, I am taking a break!

Today was my last day of classes. It marked the end of 3 months of classes with my 6am class and my 5:30pm class. Working with people for 3 months affords all kinds of rewards. I have seen these women change their minds, their bodies and their lives. I have seen transformation on all levels and have had the honor of being at the helm. I feel beyond blessed that I have this role, and that I have created a community within a community. I am a lucky woman, and I take none of this for granted.

But for the next 2 weeks I am off! I am looking forward to relaxing, recharging and replenishing my body, mind and soul. I am spending my first week off in Jasper with my BFF from Calgary, Celine. She is bringing her 2 doggies and I will have H-Dog, our plan is to run, hike and drink coffee while wandering around the peaceful utopia that is Jasper. I have really missed Celine and am really looking forward to spending some good girl time with a great girl friend. Since leaving Calgary, we have made some great friends up here. But nothing takes the place of someone who has a history with you, a friend who has supported you through some of the toughest times, as well as some of the most fun times. Those friendships both take time to build, and withstand time apart.

Speaking of old friends, one of my bestest is in town, and I will get to see him tomorrow. Cam and I met when I moved to Calgary in 98. We were great buds the whole time I lived there, and saw each other through some pretty major life changes. He and I both got married in Oct and we haven't had a chance to see each other since well before that. We have much to catch up on and celebrate and I am excited for some good laughs and great company tommorow.

Training this week has been recovery (read: SWEET!) and until today I don't think I broke a single bead in any of my workouts. Today's was a doozy and I was finally able to push the levels I wanted and even made a mini puddle in the floor with the sweaty effort. Swimming was a bust most of the week, but tomorrow morning I have a pool date with Lady Leduc, so I am guaranteed at least one swim!

Tonight D and I drank some wine and downloaded enough music to get us through the upcoming OUTDOOR season on the bikes. It was good times, and the memory of finding those tunes together will be reinforced all summer long as we listen to the tunage we picked out together.

Gratitide for friends, new and old. For love that it is unconditional, and crosses the planes of time and space. For memories, dreams of the future and shared goals.

And finally, for the world of bloggers. An unlikely and unforeseen world of support and inspiration and laughs. Thanks to all you kooky and crazy blog-land buds that have encouraged, reassured and motivated me through the winter from hell!

6 comments:

Kelly B. said...

Have fun on your break!! I am sure you have heard that old saying about the people in your life...they are there for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

Naomi Rae Nicholson said...

Enjoy your time off, Amber! I'm looking forward to doing the same. :)

Whew! I agree: what a winter. Here's to sunshine, hot temps, and amazing outdoor training, and of course FUN with those we love and adore!

:)

Deb said...

So...I made a huge mistake...when I found out you ran Boston last year I decided to see if you had a race report about it...it totally freaked me out!!! lol. I'm totally not looking forward to that kind of pain!

All i've heard from people is doing go too fast in the beginning on those downhills cuz you'll pay for it later...ack! Are you happy with the way you ran it or would you change anything do you think?

But you did PB afterall...and i'm also aiming for a 3:30...hmmm, what to do what to do!

Lisa Ulrich said...

Too bad we didn't get to meet up in GP! No worries though! I went to the leisure centre for a swim and some weights - nice pool you guys have there!

Enjoy your time off work!

Eileen Swanson said...

have a great time off! more time for Harley ;-))

Julie said...

I KNOW you are enjoying your time off with your good friend -- can't wait to see some pics and read about your Jasper adventures...

Spring is a comin'!!!!

:) :)